Backpackers and adventurers from Manila who are planning excursions to Mindoro on tight budgets, can now travel conveniently to the Island aboard an air-conditioned bus, thanks to Dimple Star Transport. Before their operation in Mindoro, you need to transfer from one mode of transportation to another enable to explore the Island. The usual route in the old days when budget was tight, was to get aboard a bus bound for Batangas City pier, and from there you need to transfer to a ship either bound for Abra de Ilog pier in Mindoro Occidental or Calapan City pier in Mindoro Oriental. And from those ports you need to transfer to another vehicle to reach whatever town you are going.
This route is pretty hard for those traveling to Mindoro Occidental via Abra de Ilog, not only the roads are much rougher in the old days, but the buses were also very uncomfortable. The buses plying the Abra de Ilog pier-San Jose route do not have air-conditioning system, and was in bad condition as the roads, the windows of the buses are not sealed enough, so you'll eat all the dust along the way. And as soon as the ship docks, you need to run as fast as you could, because the buses have limited seats. There were also racketeers, who occupied the bus seats even if they are not passengers, and you need to pay them if you want to get those seats.
Now all that hassles are history, Dimple Star Transport's air-conditioned buses passes through most of mainland Mindoro's town except for Baco, San Teodoro, Puerto Galera, Pola and Paluan. You can now almost circumnavigate Mindoro Island by land, just by boarding their air-conditioned bus twice, using two different routes from and to Manila. No need to transfer from bus to ship then bus again.
The second route is via Calapan City Pier which usually have two trips daily at the minimum. This route passes through the towns of Mindoro Oriental which are Calapan, Naujan, Victoria, Socorro, Pinamalayan, Gloria, Bansud, Bongabong, Roxas, Mansalay and Bulalacao. It also passes through the town of Magsaysay in Mindoro Occidental and also touches down in San Jose.
Dimple Star Transport have five terminals in Metro Manila, below are the location of those terminals, contact numbers, fares and bus schedules.
- Sampaloc, Espana corner Antipolo St., Telephone Number +63.02.985.1451, Mobile Phone number +63.908.926.9163, Mindoro Bus Schedule: 8:00 am, 5:00 pm, 8:00 pm
- Ali Mall, Cubao, Telephone Number +63.02.5179677, Mobile Phone Numbers +63.928.413.4565 or +63.908.696.4803, Mindoro Bus Schedule: 5:00 am, 12:00 noon, 6:00 pm
- Alabang, Transpart near Metropolis Mall, Telephone Numbers +63.02.664.7796 or +63.02.809.7796, Mobile Phone Number +63.919.429.1999, Mindoro Bus Schedule: 6:00 am, 9:00 am, 1:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 7:00 pm, 9:00 pm
- Pasay, Telephone Number +63.02.407.4614, Mobile Phone Number +63.928.603.3691, Mindoro Bus Schedule: 9:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 9:00 pm
- Santolan, Telephone Number +63.02.416.8956, Mindoro Bus Schedule: 6:00 am, 1:00 pm, 7:00 pm
Fares and Destinations via Calapan City, Mindoro Oriental
Rizal -- 900 pesos Turbina --850 pesos
Calintaan -- 850 pesos Sto. Tomas -- 800 pesos
Sablayan -- 800 pesos Balagtas -- 650 pesos
Sta. Cruz -- 750 pesos Batangas City -- 650
Mamburao -- 700 pesos Abra de Ilog-- 350 pesos
Abra de Ilog-- 650 pesos Mamburao -- 280 pesos
Batangas City -- 175 pesos Sta. Cruz -- 250 pesos
Sablayan -- 140 pesos
Calintaan -- 60 pesos
Rizal -- 35 pesos
Note: Bus Schedules and Fares updated as of July 19, 2010, it may change without notice so be sure to contact them first.